Sunday, April 27, 2014

Honey Gift

Hello all, meant to post last week, but was blessed with a short visit from my totally awesome son, Zach, who lives in Florida.  We spent a couple of days catching up, exploring and talking about everything under the sun.  He and I found out that we have a lot of the same tastes when it comes to art and to making something new out of something old.  I think for his next visit we will plan a day in my art space to create together.

Last week was also birthday week for my honey.  He is so supportive of everything that I do, that I wanted to do something special.  He was headed off for a golf trip with the boys, but I had a couple of ideas up my sleeve.  The first thing was a work bench he had his eyes on at Costco.  Of course I had to get that,  It will help him build the shelves I need in my art space.  Then I decided to make him a box that I filled with golf tees and chocolate.  Here are some pictures of the finished product.  I don't have any pictures along the way because I was trying to be sneaky so he wouldn't know what I was doing.


This was made from an old cigar box that I got on Ebay.  I did that because I am lazy.  I need to go down to the local cigar shop and see if they will give me their extras, but it is just way easier to find them on Ebay and have them show up on my doorstep a few days later.
 My first step was to create the inset on the top.  I created this from inspiration I had on a lesson from Jeanette House in my Soul Food art class space. I created a layout with 140 lb cold pressed water color paper, some sprays and some watered down acrylic paint. I then cut slits approx 1/2 in from each side and about 3/4 inches apart.  I had some copper sheeting in my stash from about 15 years ago.  I cut that into approx 1/2 strips and also cut some strips if  map paper from Tim Holtz Collage mini collection.  I then wove a strip of copper sheeting and then a strip of the map paper every other strip keeping them closed together.  It gets a little difficult for the last couple of strips.  It is not important that the strips are the same width, but they need to be kept tight. I folded them under and then secured them with  washi tape.  

My next step was cover the box.  I used some paper from the Heirloom stack from DCWV.  I like this paper because it is thinner and so it it easier to wrap the box with this.  I attached this with matte medium and let it dry.  I decided to finish the edges with copper foil tape for stained glass.  This also helped to tie in the top of the box.  I added some Luminaire paint in charcoal and green using some stencils as a guide. 






I attached the woven piece to the top of the box using hot glue and glossy accents.  I clipped it with some clothes pins and let it sit for a couple of hours.  Then I added some stamping with some Stazon ink and some more paint on top of the box.  I decorated the top with manly things.  Gears, a compass, and a spark plug.I left the inside unfinished because I wanted him to be able to see it was originally a cigar box.   I finished it off with hugs & kisses on the back.

So next time you need a gift for your honey, your son, or perhaps a graduate, think about a manly box.





2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!! This altered cigar box is fabulous! I love all the bits and bobs on the top! It must be such a pleasure to not only be with your son but to have art in common with him as well!!! I am so glad you got to spend some time with him, and craft in the process!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita, sorry I missed you when you were in town earlier this month. Thanks for the lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete